The legal age for purchasing alcohol in the UK is 18. Be prepared to show proof of your age (usually a drivers licence or passport).
Being drunk and incapable in a public place is an offence for which you can be arrested. A police officer can decide whether or not you are drunk. If you are disorderly and drunk you will be arrested.
Please drink sensibly and enjoy yourself.
If you have an alcohol problem, there are places you can go for help. Here’s a selection:
- Herefordshire residents can ask their GP to refer them to Community Alcohol Service, the specialist alcohol agency within Herefordshire NHS Primary Care Trust. Service provided includes counselling, information, advice, supervised withdrawal from alcohol, support workers and assessment for rehab centres.
- Alcoholics Anonymous - tel 0845 7697555 for details of local group meetings.http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/
- AlAnon and AlAteen - tel 0207 403 0888 for details of local group meetings for people affected by someone else’s drinking.
- Drinkline - tel 0800 917 8282 for confidential information and advice
- National Association for Children of Alcoholics, tel 0117 924 8005; helpline 0800 358 3456, http://www.nacoa.org/
- http://www.downyourdrink.org.uk/ - to help you work out whether you are drinking too much, and if so, what you can do