Photo of Cars outside The Kerry, Hereford


Rules of the road

When you are driving a vehicle or riding a motorbike or scooter:

  1. Your vehicle must be safe to be driven or ridden on the roads.

  2. Remember to drive on the left-hand side of the road.

  3. Check the vehicle has tax and an MOT and that you are insured to drive or ride the vehicle.

  4. Remember to wear your seatbelt - you are breaking the law if one is fitted and you do not wear it. Also check your passengers are wearing theirs.

  5. Make sure you are fit to drive. Do not drive if you have been drinking alcohol or you are under the influence of drugs or medicine. Although there are guidelines on how much alcohol you are allowed to consume before driving, generally the best advice in respect of drinking alcohol and driving afterwards is do not do it.  Alcohol impairs your judgements and reactions. The same rules apply to driving after consuming drugs, whether they are legal or illegal drugs.

  6. Make sure you know the Highway Code and follow the general rules and advice given in the book. This book can be purchased at various bookshops.

  7. The speed limits in this country are in miles per hour. Please make sure you are reading the right speed on your vehicle speedometer. There are lots of speed limits that may be in force.

  8. There is another speed limit which is called the national speed limit, and this is 60 mph on single carriageways and 70 mph on dual carriageways and motorways.

For further help please telephone Herefordshire Council's Road Safety unit on 01432 260946.

Back to Top

Owning a car

You are welcome to drive in this country provided that you have a driving licence for your country of origin and have the necessary documents:

  1. Every car that is used in the UK must have insurance. If you are caught driving without insurance you can be banned from driving, fined, or even sent to prison. Your vehicle may even be confiscated and crushed (

  2. A car that is more than 3 years old needs an MOT test certificate to prove road worthiness. These certificates need renewing every 12 months and cost around £30. Driving a motor vehicle without a certificate could result in a fine (

  3. Car owners need to possess the vehicle registration document, which should be given to you when you buy the car (

  4. All cars must have valid vehicle tax which can be purchased for a period of six months or one year.  This can be bought at the Post Office, on-line, or by phone. (

Back to Top

Road signs

Use the link to access a pdf document detailing road signs in use in the UK

Back to Top